Photos

DitmoreCenter.com: Forums
DitmoreCenter.com :: View topic - Information on Ahrroda "Rhody" Riggs Ditmore

<< View next topic | View previous topic >>
Ray
In the Game!
In the Game!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm searching for information on Ahrroda "Rhody" Riggs (1812-1874) wife of Edward H. Ditmore (1810-1860). Other than being married to my GGGrandfather Edward Ditmore, I know nothing about her.

Also, I've heard numerous times that my grandmother Dora Dell Ditmore was 1/8 native american. Does anyone know about native american ancestry in the Ditmore blood line between John Henry Ditmore through Dora Dell Ditmore??

My email address is: raymondgstine@aol.com

Thanks, Ray Stine

Administration
Administration

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do not have much on the Riggs family. This is about it:

Riggs in the 1830 Census of McMinn County, Tennessee. Transcribed and indexed by Sistler:
Samuel Riggs: Free white males 15-20 years one; 20-30 years one; 40-50 years one. Free white females under 5 one; 15-20 years two. Rodah Riggs. Free white males: 15-20 years one; 20-30 years one. Free white females: under 5 years one; 15-20 years two; 40-50 years one. Speculate that Samuel could have either been Rhoda's brother or father. Rodah could have been her mother or grandmother.

Samuel Riggs is listed in District #13 in the 1836 Tax List of McMinn County, Tennessee as printed in the Ansearchin' News. Also listed in District #13 is a James J. Riggs.

Per James (Randy) Ditmore (randyditmore@hotmail.com), he has a source that says Rhoda Riggs was "at least 1/2 Cherokee". Randy states, "It is interesting that my uncle Clinton looked like a 'full-blood' and was even addressed in Cherokee while growing up in NE Oklahoma. My fahter always identified himself as Cherokee. It is also interesting that my Great-uncle Quinton vehemently denies any Indian blood even though he too "looks Indian." If Rhoda Riggs was part-Cherokee, it would seem possible that there should be an record of an Indian trader named Riggs."
<< View next topic | View previous topic >>